By Kara Wahlgren
Want to make your pre-workout supplement more portable? Whip up a batch of these homemade pre-workout gummies. Filled with fresh fruit and LADDER Pre-Workout, they're a sweet and chewy alternative to sipping your pre-workout.
Just like your usual LADDER Pre-Workout beverage, these gummies can help supercharge your workouts with beneficial ingredients like beta-alanine for better endurance and caffeine and L-theanine to sharpen your focus.
Fight fatigue and increase focus in your next training session with LADDER Pre-Workout! Shop all premium supplements here.
How to Make LADDER Pre-Workout Gummies
These pre-workout gummies only require 10 minutes of prep time — and if you've ever made a bowl of jello, you've already mastered the basics!
Whisk gelatin with a small amount of water, then mix in the lightly boiled fruit, lemon zest, LADDER Pre-Workout, and more water. Pour the mixture into a baking dish or mold and pop it in the fridge to set for at least four hours.
Then just grab a serving of gummies (about half a batch) 30 to 45 minutes before your sweat session for a perfectly timed performance boost.
Both delicious flavors of LADDER Pre-Workout will work well in this recipe. Choose Strawberry Lemonade if you're craving a sweet-and-sour flavor combo, or Tropical Fruit for a tangy and refreshing pre-workout treat.
If you follow a plant-based diet, you can replace the gelatin with agar, a powder derived from red algae. "Recently, agar has been making a stand in the culinary world," says Cameron Fiorenza, BS, NDTR. Agar solidifies more easily than gelatin and will result in firmer gummies.
Pre-Workout Gummies Recipe
Prep time: 7 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes + 4 hr. cooling time
- Plastic wrap
- 1 medium pear
- 1 medium red apple
- 1 cup water, divided use
- 2 Tbsp. plain gelatin (or 2 Tbsp. agar powder)
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon peel (lemon zest)
- 2 scoops LADDER Pre-Workout - Tropical Fruit
- Line a baking dish with plastic wrap; set aside.
- Finely chop pear and apple; set aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp. water and gelatin to a small mixing bowl; whisk to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Bring ½ cup water to a boil in a small saucepot over medium-high heat.
- Add pear and apple; gently boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool.
- Add pre-workout and lemon peel to gelatin mixture; stir to combine. Carefully pour in cooled fruit mixture; mix well. Add remaining ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. water; stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a prepared dish; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or until gummies set.
- Cut gummy mixture into 32 equal portions.
- You can use a gummy mold for this recipe. They can be found at your local craft or art supply store, specialty cook shops, online, or at some grocery stores.
- If using agar, add the water, pear, and apple to a small pot to boil. Pour agar into the water, whisking vigorously to dissolve. Take off heat to cool for 15 minutes, then proceed from step 6.
Tips for Perfect Pre-Workout Gummies
- Leave your fruits unpeeled. This makes recipe prep so much easier — plus the peels provide fiber, micronutrients, and probiotics to make this pre-workout snack even more beneficial.
- For the best texture, finely chop the apple and pear. Start by removing the core and stem and slicing into thin pieces. Cut each slice into a set of matchsticks, then chop the matchstick into tiny cubes.
- If you don't own a silicone gummy bear mold, you can create gummy cubes with a glass baking dish. Line the dish with plastic wrap, pour gelatin into a thin layer, and slice it into cubes once it sets.
- These gummies require refrigeration to stay fresh, Fiorenza notes. Place them on a paper towel to absorb excess moisture, then store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Leftover gummies can be frozen for up to two weeks in an airtight container.