By Kara Wahlgren
Want to make your pre-workout supplement more portable? Whip up a batch of these homemade pre-workout gummies. Filled with fresh fruit and LADDER Pre-Workout, they're a sweet and chewy alternative to sipping your pre-workout.
Just like your usual LADDER Pre-Workout beverage, these gummies can help supercharge your workouts with beneficial ingredients like beta-alanine for better endurance and caffeine and L-theanine to sharpen your focus.
Fight fatigue and increase focus in your next training session with LADDER Pre-Workout! Shop all premium supplements.
How to Make LADDER Pre-Workout Gummies
These pre-workout gummies only require 10 minutes of prep time — and if you've ever made a bowl of jello, you've already mastered the basics!
Whisk gelatin with a small amount of water, then mix in the lightly boiled fruit, lemon zest, LADDER Pre-Workout, and more water. Pour the mixture into a baking dish or mold and pop it in the fridge to set for at least four hours.
Then just grab a serving of gummies (about half a batch) 30 to 45 minutes before your sweat session for a perfectly timed performance boost.
Both delicious flavors of LADDER Pre-Workout will work well in this recipe. Choose Strawberry Lemonade if you're craving a sweet-and-sour flavor combo, or Tropical Fruit for a tangy and refreshing pre-workout treat.
If you follow a plant-based diet, you can replace the gelatin with agar, a powder derived from red algae. "Recently, agar has been making a stand in the culinary world," says Cameron Fiorenza, BS, NDTR. Agar solidifies more easily than gelatin and will result in firmer gummies.
Pre-Workout Gummies Recipe
Prep time: 7 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes + 4 hr. cooling time
- Plastic wrap
- 1 medium pear
- 1 medium red apple
- 1 cup water, divided use
- 2 Tbsp. plain gelatin (or 2 Tbsp. agar powder)
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon peel (lemon zest)
- 2 scoops LADDER Pre-Workout - Tropical Fruit
- Line a baking dish with plastic wrap; set aside.
- Finely chop pear and apple; set aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp. water and gelatin to a small mixing bowl; whisk to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Bring ½ cup water to a boil in a small saucepot over medium-high heat.
- Add pear and apple; gently boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool.
- Add pre-workout and lemon peel to gelatin mixture; stir to combine. Carefully pour in cooled fruit mixture; mix well. Add remaining ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. water; stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a prepared dish; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or until gummies set.
- Cut gummy mixture into 32 equal portions.
- You can use a gummy mold for this recipe. They can be found at your local craft or art supply store, specialty cook shops, online, or at some grocery stores.
- If using agar, add the water, pear, and apple to a small pot to boil. Pour agar into the water, whisking vigorously to dissolve. Take off heat to cool for 15 minutes, then proceed from step 6.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.
Tips for Perfect Pre-Workout Gummies
- Leave your fruits unpeeled. This makes recipe prep so much easier — plus the peels provide fiber, micronutrients, and probiotics to make this pre-workout snack even more beneficial.
- For the best texture, finely chop the apple and pear. Start by removing the core and stem and slicing into thin pieces. Cut each slice into a set of matchsticks, then chop the matchstick into tiny cubes.
- If you don't own a silicone gummy bear mold, you can create gummy cubes with a glass baking dish. Line the dish with plastic wrap, pour gelatin into a thin layer, and slice it into cubes once it sets.
- These gummies require refrigeration to stay fresh, Fiorenza notes. Place them on a paper towel to absorb excess moisture, then store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Leftover gummies can be frozen for up to two weeks in an airtight container.