To fuel like a king, you need a balance of all the macronutrients, including protein, carbs, and fat. And that's exactly why LeBron James relies on a granola recipe from his personal chef, Dena Marino, to help give him the energy he needs to push his body to the limit.
While granola sometimes has a bad reputation, it's a healthy option as long as you avoid unnecessarily high amounts of added sugar. This exclusive homemade granola recipe is lower in sugar and filled with monounsaturated fats from cashews, pecans, and almonds.
These healthy fats have been linked to increasing good cholesterol (HDL), lowering bad cholesterol (LDL), and improving blood pressure. LeBron typically enjoys his granola as part of his post-workout meal after weight training in addition to a protein shake.
Research shows that the combination of protein and carbohydrates can help with muscle growth and recovery. In particular, for high-intensity exercise that lasts more than 60 minutes, aim for 30-60 grams of carbohydrates mixed with 20-40 grams of complete protein.
You can add the granola to your favorite yogurt or smoothie or eat it alone to enjoy all of the recipe's health benefits.
LeBron's Granola Ingredients
- 1 cup chopped Cashews
- 1 cup chopped Pecans
- 1/2 cup sliced Almonds
- 1/2 coconut Flakes
- 1/4 cup gr flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Egg White, whipped until stiff peaks
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Put all ingredients in a bowl together, fold lightly the egg white into the bowl with everything.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper then spread out the granola on the tray.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the granola to completely cool to room temperature and harden.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy!
- 20 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 1/2 cup
MACROS PER SERVING
- 200 calories
- 4g protein
- 10g carbs
- 16g fat