Most pancakes are "feel-good food" that you can't feel good about eating. This recipe gives you all of the enjoyment of eating pancakes without any of the guilt. Packed with protein, these pancakes can help you build stronger bones and boost your immune system.
Get 26g of satiating Ladder Whey Protein or 21g with our Plant Protein. While most plant protein powders combine rice and pea protein together, we use pea protein alone because in any rice vs. pea protein contest, pea is the winner. Pea is a complete protein and contains all of the essential amino acids, including the BCAAs.
This recipe provides 4 servings.
- 2 cups whole spelt flour (or try gluten-free flour!)
- 1 packet Ladder Whey Protein or Ladder Plant Protein
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups almond milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Chose any one or all of the below options:
- Sliced pears
- Sliced peaches
- Sliced apples
- Maple syrup
- Ground cinnamon
- Greek yogurt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, natural sweetener, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the almond milk with the melted butter.
- Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Stir the batter just until the dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
Let the batter sit to thicken for 5-10 minutes before you use it.
- Heat a non-stick pan or a non-stick griddle if you have one, or a heavy skillet, preferably cast iron.
- When the surface of your pan is hot enough for these lovely pancakes to brown, add 1/4 cupful at a time. I like to use a turkey baster to keep it nice and clean!
- Let the pancakes cook on the first side until you see little bubbles begin to form around the edge - approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- When the pancakes are just beginning to set on the first side, flip! And let them finish cooking on the second side, about 1 minute more, until golden on each side.
- Finish each pancake with the toppings of your choice.